Boy, it has been an eventful past few weeks. By eventful, I mean not so much. I finally got to see a neurologist and I have an EEG scheduled in a couple weeks. Next month at my follow-up I hope to find out what’s been causing my seizures. In the meantime, I’ve been taking anti-seizure medicine. It’s been working. My dizzy spells, my absent seizures, my falling down have pretty much disappeared. The only downside is that my medicine makes me sleepy, which means I sleep most of the day…okay, so that’s not necessarily a terrible downside, but it is if I need to get anything accomplished.
It hasn’t affected my dogs too much, except making them not want to get up in the mornings. They’ve adjusted and if I need to sleep-in, they sleep in too. What has affected them is a part in my fence where the wood has pulled away from the screws leaving a Shih Tzu sized hole that they can squeeze through and get into the neighbor’s backyard. There are two big dogs over there and I only know one of the dogs. The other–an intact male dog–recently arrived and I’m not sure if he’s friendly or not. Also, I’m almost positive that Nia isn’t fixed and the last thing I need is a Pit Bull getting my Shih Tzu pregnant (yep, I’m sure we all thought of some crude jokes right there).
Due to medical bills, I haven’t been able to get Nia an appointment to get fixed, plus I want to make double sure that she isn’t fixed (I’m waiting for her to go into heat) before scheduling an appointment as I would hate to put her through an unnecessary surgery if she’s already been fixed.
Also, is it bad that I want her to go into heat? Call me a bad person, but I want to raise a litter of Shih Tzu puppies. Of course that entails finding a healthy, physically sound male. Also, I have to determine if I even want to breed Nia. She has a super curly tail and I’m afraid that a tail that tightly curled will mean spinal issues in her puppies. Ergo, part of me says to not breed her if I cannot guarantee healthy, physically sound puppies. And what if she only has one or two? I wouldn’t want to get rid of them. I’d want to keep them. Dah, too much to consider. How do [reputable] breeders do this?
Anyway, I just wanted to drop a short update on how we’re doing. I have a couple more blog posts in mind, but I need to be awake long enough to write them.
Until next time, find a nice sunny spot to take a nap.